Tuesday, July 1, 2008

What’s For Breakfast?

When was it decided that Breakfast in this country should be a) sweet and/or b) egg-laden? Was it the early settlers who relied on farming to sustain? From what I know, some chickens lay their eggs early in the morning. Does that get factored in? Where did sugary syrup with pancakes or waffles come from? What is the deal with the bagels that could feed a small village in Tanzania?

It is widely understood that breakfast is the “most important meal of the day” and should contain more calories than lunch or dinner. What I have a tough time wrapping my head around is the extremely limited options we are provided should we choose to eat our breakfast outside of our own homes in the grand U.S of A.

Personally speaking, I do not like eggs for breakfast (Sam I Am). For whatever reason, if eggs are consumed before 3:00pm, I’m doubled over in pain. So, for years I’ve been looking for alternatives.

Working in NYC, I often buy my breakfast, trolling each corner deli and take-out joint in a 10-block radius of my office for some tasty morsel around 8am. In every one, it’s the same:

Option 1: Baconeggandcheese on a roll (yes, it is one word)
Um… How about a grilled cheese with bacon on whole wheat?
“No egg?” I get asked, every time.
“No egg,” I reply.
"No egg" they repeat, stunned, as if I just said, "kill the puppy." Then they take another look at me, as if memorizing my face in case I turn up on a 10-most wanted list. Shaking their head, they turn to pull the par-cooked bacon from the case that will never get any crisper than a wet noodle.

Option 2: Hot Oatmeal
A little better, but what do most people put on their oatmeal? SUGAR! I do not need to start my day loaded down with sugar that will cause a crash around 10am.

Option 3: If you're lucky, you'll find some soggy pancakes and syrup on the hot salad bar that a) have been sitting on the simmer table for hours and b) that contain 3 times the recommended daily allowance of sugar. I'll pass, thanks.

In other areas of the world, you may find breakfast items such as:
Cheese
Ham
Croissants or baguette (always a reasonable portion size)
Yogurt
Fish (small anchovies, smoked whitefish or salmon)

I would consider any one of these a delicious and tasty breakfast.

Years ago, I created a fictional (a.k.a. potential) restaurant including location, ambiance and of course, the menu. I went with a breakfast/brunch place that had something to offer for everyone. The menu included omelettes (e.g. sundried tomatoes and artichoke hearts), quiche and Belgian waffles.

But it also included a section for people like me – people who like something a little lighter and more savory for their morning meal. I called it “International Breakfasts.” This is the more unusual, often more European, selection: baguette with goat cheese and olives; a platter of fresh fruit with a croissant, a selection of imported ham and cheese; and even a dish with Italian small white anchovies served with a ½ baguette and farmer’s cheese.

To clarify, I have nothing against waffles, pancakes or eggs! But for my breakfast, please pass the anchovies.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm with you. No eggs for me. Pass on the oversyruped sticky stuff. I will breakfast with you any day, Chef Fred.
xo DCC

Wicked Stepmom said...

I love me some eggs for breakfast!

Eggs = Protein.

(Protein is good. Right? ;) )

However, I could also go for a nice hunk of cheese and a baguette. YUM!

And pizza. Cold.