Monday, July 7, 2008

When Your Favorite Lunch Place Disappoints

It was just like any other day… food from the Favorite Lunch Place. It’s the hole-in-the-wall a few blocks away with the line around the corner.

“What are they selling, Crack?”
So we brave the line to see what the fuss was about.
It’s a tiny place that sells amazingly fresh, delicious sandwiches, brewed iced tea and possibly the most amazing cupcake I’ve ever had. Yes, you read correctly.
The BEST Cupcake EVER.

Every visit there was worth the 15 minute wait on line.

And then….

We decided to call in our order for delivery since so many of us wanted to eat from there today. This is how it went down:

“Please fax in your order”
We don’t have a fax machine on our floor, so we trek down 4 floors to our sister floor.
Order Faxed.
Then the call came “We need a credit card to confirm the order”
Um… Ok, here’s my credit card number.
We wait.
One hour and 15 minutes later our food arrives and we pay the delivery guy.
As we’re going through the list to see who gets what, my co-worker noticed a credit card receipt.
Wait a minute – didn’t I give them the number just to confirm the order? Like a restaurant takes a credit card to hold the reservation??
I frantically call the Favorite Lunch Place. Sure enough, they charged my credit card.
“Well, we just gave your delivery guy $52 in cash money.”
To her credit, the woman was very nice but said, “I told you I needed the credit card number..” (right, to confirm. That’s what I heard, to confirm!)
Ok, instead of arguing the small points, she credits the card.
Now she wants my fax number so she can send me the confirmation of the credit.
“DOES ANYONE KNOW OUR FAX NUMBER?”
The woman on the other end of the phone is stunned. “Um… I know you have a fax machine, you faxed your order to us!”
“Yes, I know we have a fax machine but it’s 4 floors down and I don’t know that number. See, they’re shutting down our office and taking away all of our equipment.”

Well, THAT’s a conversation stopper. Bet she hadn't heard that one today!

Moving on to the entire reason we order from there – the FOOD! And not a minute too soon. I’m hungry!

Today I chose a different selection than normal: Turkey, Cranberry and Pear on a baguette. Thanksgiving on a baguette! How good does THAT sound?

I unwrap my sandwich with gleeful anticipation…
hmm... my turkey is pink. And. Shiny. PROCESSED turkey!
A place that boasts freshly baked bread, quiche and incredible sandwiches serves processed, briney, salty turkey?
Really?
REALLY???

I guess all that’s left to do is drown my sorrows in one of those cupcakes.

Mmm… cupcakes.

No comments: