Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Bubbly on a Tuesday?

I am a huge fan of the Bubbly. If it’s dry and sparkling, I’m there. But I’d always seen it as a ‘special occasion’ beverage. Something that sits in my fridge waiting for the right time; or on occasion when I felt decadent, ordering a glass when out for. Until one night a few years ago…

My world had recently come crashing down around me and I was feeling pretty low. At the time, I was working for a wine magazine, where word had spread I was a fan of the Bubbly. Every so often, a bottle would appear on my desk. Never anything too outrageously expensive, but some really solid sparkling wines from California, Cava from Spain, Prosecco from Italy, even an unfiltered sparkling wine from the Pacific northwest.

My wine fridge at home started to look like something from an episode of Sex and the City. Then one night, I was making myself a comfort meal of Spaghetti Carbonara. As the garlic was melting into the bacon renderings I panicked. I have no white wine in the house! I have 7 bottles of sparkling wine, but nothing to put in the dish! Or did I? Tentatively, I opened a simple bottle of Cava.

Rationalizing that since I didn’t pay for it, I shouldn’t feel guilty. I used a little to make the sauce and then poured myself a glass. Talk about feeling decadent! The pasta was delicious and the Cava paired incredibly well, breaking through the salty, tangy and creamy sauce. Suddenly my mood lightened considerably.

Then I started thinking: Who decided Bubbly is only good for special occasions? What denotes a special occasion? Why can’t I celebrate that it’s Tuesday and I made it through the day? I’m not saying to break out a 1986 Veuve Clicquot Le Grande Dame, but there are so many inexpensive (and good!) options, that why shouldn’t we allow ourselves a little luxury, or at least perceived luxury. Haven’t we earned it?

If you’re concerned about being able to finish a bottle in an evening but don’t want it to go to waste (that’s just alcohol abuse!), there’s a contraption out there which will preserve the bubbles for up to 3 days. Seriously. It really works.

So the next time you’re in the wine shop, take a stroll through the sparkling section. You’ll be surprised at what you can find for under $20, if you’re willing to open your mind from traditional Champagne.

No comments: