Wednesday, June 6, 2012

My (Self-Assigned) Tortilla Challenge

Living alone, I often find I’m wasting bread and other baked goods. I can never seem to finish the loaf or package before it goes bad. This week I bought a package of Whole Wheat Tortillas and was determined to have fun with it and finish every last one. I succeeded! Here are my favorite uses from this week...

You'll notice in each of these favorites, I used a product differently from its original intended use. Think outside the box! For example: just because a product says, "dip" doesn't mean it can't be used as a spread.

In addition, I used or reused ingredients that were on hand. After hosting a BBQ over the weekend, here are the ingredients I had:

* 10-inch (Medium) Whole Wheat Tortillas
* Trader Joe's Fancy Shredded Lite Mexican Blend: Light Sharp Cheddar, Lite Monterey Jack, Lite Asadero and Lite Queso Blanco.) Any shredded cheese works!
* Greens: raw Spinach, steamed kale
* Trader Joe's Back Bean Dip, etc. (many grocery stores have a version of this)
* Leftover shredded chicken from pulled BBQ Chicken sandwiches made over the weekend (I'd left some of the chicken sauce-less)
* Grilled eggplant, leftover from the weekend
* Fresh Mozzarella, sliced
* Sundried tomatoes (dry, not in oil)
* Prepared Pesto

Quesadilla 

You can’t go wrong with a Quesadilla. The possibilities are endless! With a few minor variations of ingredients I had on hand, I actually made these several times during the week.

Version 1: 

I actually ate this for breakfast one day!

- Spread a thin layer of Black Bean Spread on the bottom of one Tortilla
- Place in a non-stick skillet sprayed with cooking spray over medium heat
- Sprinkle shredded cheese over the Black Bean Spread
- Add a handful of raw spinach Let cook 2-3 minutes Carefully fold tortilla in half, to create a half-moon, taking care to avoid the shredded cheese from escaping
- Using the back of a spatula, gently press down to help the cheese stick to the tortilla and other ingredients.  - Transfer to a plate, let cool for 1 minute then cut in half.

Version 2: 

- Spread a thin layer of Black Bean Spread on one side of two Tortillas
- Place with the spread face up in a non-stick skillet sprayed with cooking spray over medium heat Sprinkle cheese over the Black Bean Spread
- Add a generous handful of steamed kale
- Add about 1/4 cup of shredded chicken
- Add another layer of cheese and the other tortilla, this time with the black bean spread face down.
- Let cook 2-3 minutes
- Carefully place a large plate on top of the pan, turn upside down so the quesadilla is on the plate and carefully transfer the quesadilla back to the pan.
- Let cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Using a spatula, transfer to a plate, let cool for 1 minute then cut in quarters (I use a pizza cutter).

Grilled Veggie Wrap 

The rest of the package of spinach used in the Quesadillas was starting to wilt in the refrigerator so I steamed it to give it new life. Make sure to squeeze it dry over the sink before using

Spread some of the prepared pesto on the bottom of the tortilla. Layer eggplant, fresh mozzarella slices, sundried tomatoes and steamed spinach in the center of the tortilla, leaving space around the edges.
Fold up one end, then the sides and finally fold the top down.

Eat as is or cut in half on a diagonal.

I'm proud to say I not only finished the whole package that week but but also added some new regular meals to my arsenal.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

JG Wakefield said...

Fantastic! I love these ideas for wraps!