Sunday, June 6, 2010

Smokey Bacon and Cheddar Johnnycake

The other day, I was cleaning out my pantry and found a box of Jiffy Corn Muffin mix. It’s probably been there since around Thanksgiving when I make a corn-bread based stuffing (Chestnut and Cranberry Cornbread Stuffing). Every year, I make the cornbread base the day before Thanksgiving to give it time to thoroughly dry out before making the stuffing. And each year, I have to hide the base because little fingers come around pulling off little pieces to where I wind up with not enough of the base!

That got me to thinking, what if I make an actual cornbread with a similar technique to the stuffing base and just leave it at that stage? What if I add some extra flavor to it? Would it be good on its own?

This morning I began experimenting and I must say, the experiment has been a success. With what I had in the house, this is what the result was:

Smokey Bacon and Cheddar Johnnycake
1 box Jiffy Cornbread Muffin Mix
1 large egg
¾ cup low-sodium chicken stock
2 slices of thick center-cut bacon, browned and crumbled
~ 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
~ 1 tsp dried thyme
~ 1 Tbs chili powder

Preheat oven to 375 F.
Spray non-stick cooking spray in an 8x8 baking dish.
Put cornbread mix in a bowl. Add thyme and chili powder.
Add egg and chicken stock. Stir until combined.
Fold in bacon and cheese.
Pour into prepared baking dish and bake 20-25 minutes, until brown on top.

This is tasty on its own, or would be a great accompaniment to eggs or chili.
Enjoy!

No comments: