Thursday, May 14, 2009

Sure Mom, I'll Cook the Fois Gras

You know your life isn’t normal when, on a recent trip to visit my parents, my mother says, “that friend of ours who owns the French restaurant gave us this fois gras. Will you cook it for us while you’re here?”

Um… ok. After ensuring it was properly cleaned and ready to go and some digging through the liquor cabinet, pantry and fridge, it ultimately became:

Seared Fois Gras with a Wild Blueberry Sauce

• Seasoned the fois gras with salt and pepper
• Seared on both sides in olive oil until cooked through and both sides are a golden brown
• Removed from pan and drained on paper towels
• Poured out most of the fat in the pan
• To the remaining fat. added 1 small shallot, chopped finely
• Added about ¼ cup Absolut Pear vodka to deglaze the pan
• Let bubble in the pan until reduced by about half
• Added 3 heaping Tbs Wild Blueberry jam, leaves from 3 sprigs fresh Thyme and freshly ground black pepper
• Cooked for about 1 minute, until jam was warmed through and flavors combined
• Poured sauce over fois gras in serving dish
• Served with toast points

Something to remember when eating fois gras – It should be eaten in small portions. It’s extremely rich and most people’s digestive systems aren’t used to eating food that rich. If you eat too much of it, you WILL have a stomachache.

In hindsight, if I’d had more time to think it through, I probably should have/would have made a pate.

Note: Yes, I know – I must replace my camera so I can post pictures of these things. Soon!

No comments: