Monday, March 16, 2009

Gourmet Meal on a Budget

We’re all watching every penny we spend these days. However, that doesn’t mean we can’t eat healthy, gourmet meals. I, like many of you, do my staple shopping once a week, or even once every few weeks. I buy the same items to keep my fridge and pantry ready for many types of meals.

This week made Baked Shrimp Scampi with Oven Roasted Potatoes.

Items I already had in my pantry or fridge or were part of my staple shopping:

- Panko breadcrumbs (if you don't have Panko, regular dried breadcrumbs are fine)
- Butter
- Garlic
- Fresh rosemary and parsley (When staple shopping I buy parsley and one other fresh herb. Washed, wrapped in a damp paper towel and stored in a zip top bag will keep for 1-2 weeks. Use any fresh herb you have on hand. Thyme, rosemary, tarragon, etc.)
- Salt/pepper
- Olive oil
- Lemon (When I do my staple shopping, I will buy 1-2 lemons and/or limes, depending what’s on sale)

What I had to buy:

Shrimp – I went with what was on sale. They were 25/30, peeled and deveined, which meant super easy prep! I bought about ¼ lb, which translated into 9 shrimp. For one person, this is perfect. Cost = $2.80
New Red Potatoes – 3 medium baby new red/waxy potatoes. Cost = $0.33

* Cut the potatoes in half and then again in quarters, creating bite sized pieces. Tossing with olive oil, salt, pepper and some chopped rosemary, the potatoes went into a 350 degree oven.

* Meanwhile, place the peeled and deveined shrimp (tails on) into a bowl with a little olive oil (to coat, ~ 1 Tbs), salt and pepper. Add ~1 oz white wine or good beer (I used an IPA beer)

* In a separate bowl, mashed 2 Tbs softened butter with the zest and juice of a half a lemon, 1 minced garlic clove, 1 Tbs chopped rosemary and about 2 Tbs chopped parsley. Slowly add breadcrumbs, continuously mashing/mixing until the mixture came together (~ ¼ - 1/3 cup of breadcrumbs)

* Place the shrimp into a shallow baking dish. Pour the remainder of the marinade into the baking dish over the shrimp and spoon the butter/breadcrumb mixture over the top of the shrimp.

* Add the shrimp into the oven (this should be about 15 minutes after the potatoes went in) and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes. (Total cooking times: potatoes – 30 minutes; shrimp 15-20 or until breadcrumbs are lightly browned)

Serves: 1 (you could stretch this to serve 2 with a simple salad)

Total additional cost of meal (not including items already on hand): $3.13

No comments: