Monday, August 4, 2008

Tipping for Take-Out

There are many points of view on the topic of Tipping for food-related services. Keeping in mind I have a lot of friends in the food service industry, here is my point of view on tipping for take-out:

I don’t do it.

Does that make me a bad customer or a bad person? I don’t think so. Let’s look at my tipping philosophy in other types of establishments:

At a sit-down restaurant:

Generally 20% AFTER tax.

Unless the service is really bad. When I say really bad, I mean, sitting for 20 minutes with an empty wine glass, not having ordered my food and then it comes out burnt and then I sit with the burnt food for an additional 20 minutes before someone comes over and says, “…and how is everything?” (true story)

Then they might get 10-15%.

For delivery:

Usually $3-4 or up to 10% of the bill.

There are many factors in determining this amount though: the weather, what I’ve ordered (McDonald’s or sushi), how many of us ordered and how quickly it gets there. Generally it’s about $3-4 or up to 10% of the bill, whichever is more.

Back to take-out:

Most of the time, at least in this country, the kitchen workers aren’t receiving the tip. It’s the servers and sometimes bus staff. So when I order take-out, the kitchen staff prepared, packaged it and probably walked it up to the front where it awaits pick-up. No one from the restaurant has served it to me, set my table or cleaned up my mess.

Therefore, unless I ordered some crazy $300 order for 12 people, I’m not going to leave a tip for take-out. And, I won’t feel guilty about it, damnit.